Friday, July 26, 2013

Not every day is a PR day.

Deep down somewhere, I'm a realist.
 I know everyday in the gym isn't going to be a record setting, life changing event. That does not change the fact that every single morning I get ready for a workout, I mentally prep for it being a big day. This is a REAAAAL BIG DAY! The self talk is absolutely something else. So anytime I complete a one rep max lift before a WOD and don't PR I go from this:
TO THIS


Real fast. It's terrifying. 

The good news is the frustration and strange slurs I make at the bar subside quickly. Ok, If any coach I've ever had read that he/she would say the "quick" is relative... I want to say within the hour I recover from the initial anger. Why? Read the title (what am I your mom or something? haha). Because not every day is a PR day. It's a cold hard fact any athlete/gym enthusiast should learn to handle like a big boy/girl.  Our bodies didn't become stronger overnight. I know, this makes me cry a little too. Our lift technique, existing musculature/genetic giftedness, nutritional input, proper rest, and mental fortitude need to improve and unite like GO GO POWER RANGERS to give us those friggin' epic PR days. 
.... and those days, are magical. 
Blessed by unicorns. Or the Matticorn, I'm not sure which.
Anyhow, that didn't happen for me yesterday. In fact, I couldn't match my old PR for a Power Clean and I was seriously bummed. But I live to fight another day, and so do you. 
In fact, I'm heading in shortly to PR. IT'S A BIG DAY!!! For realsies this time. 

.. because if you don't believe in what you COULD do,  you're never going to try, right?
GET AFTER IT TODAY, MAN


No comments: