Friday, August 16, 2013

Mind your meat

Like most Pinterest users, I am notorious for pinning and never doing. I've also never really been a fan of pork chops, and when I found this recipe it looked really delicious:
I know! Take a gander at that picture it's amazing.
Let it be known that is not what my chops will look like.
I thought, what would make this better than to sub in Gluten-Free and Paleo alternatives? So I did.
Please ignore the supplementation occurring in the background. We have limited counter space.
Chia Seeds, Deer Antler Extract, and Jack3d were not included in this meal.
I'm starting to wonder why I didn't now though.
The most difficult part of the whole meal is assembling ingredients with sore arms that don't reach above a 90 degree angle (thanks coach!). It called for one cup of flour, and after my first drink I got pretty pumped about mixing the Glutino Bread Crumbs with the Almond Meal, so I went halvsies on that one. Instead of Soya sauce, I used coconut aminos for the Honey Garlic Sauce.
 The recipe is so freaking easy it's silly I'm documenting this.
Above: Dry breading ingredients sifted together,  dip dry chops here before egg wash.
Egg Wash
Below: After egg wash, repeat breading by dipping chops again
 GTG for the frying pan!
 I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but we only had 2 pretty thick pieces of meat here (a flurry of inappropriate comments. Do it. You can't help it), and I seriously think that's where the trouble began. It pains me to say this, but you'll want thinner meat for this.
So, what happens if you leave your pork too thick:
Top: Honey Garlic Sauce simmering, pork in pan
Bottom Left: Severe Trichinosis
Bottom Right: Trichinosis solved
How many people do you know that can both undercook and burn a meal at the same time? It takes real talent. Hence the rationale above. But as you can see, after smacking it, flipping it, and rubbing it down with Honey Garlic sauce... all was right with the world.  While there were no actual flames, it did smell a little rough for a minute in the kitchen.

Yep. The finished product looks a lot more granular due to the Glutino/Almond Meal breading, and a little burnt. It's no foodie glamor shot like the original pork chop concept in the link, but it still absolutely tasty and I would highly recommend it as a quick dish. 

Have fun guys! 
- Judy





No comments: