Monday, August 19, 2013

Just like The Count: One Calorie, Two Calorie, Three Calorie. MUA AH HA!

About a month ago, I instituted some pretty challenging dietary standards for myself. Specifically no dairy in any form, desserts, or candy. It was, and still continues to be an ingenious plan to live a little healthier. Of course, I've had a couple of slips, and I've eaten a few items that aren't exactly fitting the health food category. But in moderation, I've held back on far more deliciousness than I've given into. I was certain, just certain my new changes coupled with almost exclusively Paleo choices would allow me to maintain my happy weight and hey, maybe even drop a pound or two while making gains in my fitness endeavors. I mean, boom! Check out those rippling muscles, right?


Well, I'm back to recognizing some cold hard facts, because my gains in the gym were suddenly also starting to look like gains on my ass. And my belly. So I visited the most sobering device in my home, our scale. For the record, I do not live or die by a number on a scale. I think it's ludicrous to expect a muscular fit person of any gender to see small numbers there, ever. I have drastically altered my perception of what I should weigh, and what I actually do weigh. As for a slim cut jean, I've never known the glory of one. My athletic past and genetic configuration has never suited it and I accepted it long ago. My personal fitness goals and visible body appearance goals are going to be different that the next person, and I think that's the bees knees. Who wants to be like everybody else? Not you! It's liberating to set you're own expectations and work to achieve them in whatever form that may take on your fitness journey!

But. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. They are created unequally in what they can do for athletic performance, how they impact a person's basic functionality, and appearance. Abso-freaking-lutely. I'm not here to argue that an organic sweet potato of approximately 250 calories isn't a thousand times better for you than a king-sized Snicker's bar for that same value. But I was so exceedingly excited about my healthier choices, that I forgot to consider the amount of physical activity I realistically do everyday, my height, and volume of nutrition I was putting in.  I know I lift bro, but I don't lift 3 hours a day and I'm not competing for anything other than an excellent parking spot at Target.

So it showed up. And honestly I'm not terribly heartbroken about the whole thing, because decreasing my intake by a bit, and spending a few more minutes than I had before on a heart rate accelerating activity will take care of my badonkadonk and jelly belly in no time. Leaving me with still, a pretty substantial badonkadonk.  Yesssssss.

To prove my point about a sneaky way caloric intake will invade your system via a 'healthier' snack product:
You crafty sonofabicsh
I think it's important to remember that the word 'chip' is still in use here, and as such it's still not a healthy option. As my old trainer and life guru says about certain foods, "Beware the Devil in a Blue Dress". Yes. It's a vegetable (technically), and it says it's 130 calories or so per serving. This container even dares to take a stab at the number of servings. Saaaaay, 5ish? They don't know, you don't know, geez it's only green beans, right? Lies. All lies. I'm not saying don't eat 'em. I still do in small volume because they're friggin' delicious, but we all know we're better off eating the raw ones for decreased calories, increased nutrients, and a little bit of water intake never hurt anyone. Except for peeps with Right-Sided Heart Failure, don't give them fluids. That's a terrible idea. But pretty much anyone else is good to go!

So enjoy you're meals this week, friends. I know I will....Just a little smaller than the ones I was SERIOUSLY hauling down this past month. 

-Judy


No comments: